How to deal with loud noise in your neighbourhood

Neighbourhood noise, such as noise from barking dogs, car alarms, machines and parties can be very annoying. However, you can often stop noise that disturbs you without involving Council or another government agency.

Talk to your neighbours

The first thing you should do is talk to your neighbours about any noise issues that are affecting you. Your neighbours may not have known and they may help solve the problem quickly and easily.

Community Justice Centres

If talking to your neighbours doesn't solve the issue, you can go the Community Justice Centre. Community Justice Centres provide quality mediation and conflict management services in NSW. The service is free, confidential, impartial, accessible and voluntary.

The Northern Community Justice Centre can be contacted on 1800 990 777 or email

How Council can help

Noise complaints may result in one or all of these steps, depending on the case:

  • An investigation of the noise complaint to determine the legitimacy of the complaint.
  • The offender/s may be warned about the noise and asked to take action.
  • A formal notice/order may be issued.
  • Action may be enforced (penalty notices or Court action if warranted).

Council can serve various notices on people occupying homes and businesses under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (POEO Act) requiring them to control noise and advising them what noise levels are acceptable.

We serve notices for noise from animals, air conditioners, swimming pool pumps, radios, sound reproduction equipment, musical instruments, power tools, lawn mowers and burglar alarms.

The notice can require the noise-making activities to be restricted to certain times of the day or certain days. If the notice is not complied with, Council can prosecute. People who get a notice can appeal against it.

To make a noise complaint:

Phone Lismore Police on 6626 0599.

Phone us on (02) 6625 0500 or email

Pubs and clubs

The Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing manages noise from licensed premises such as pubs and clubs. When the Office licenses these premises, it may place environmental noise conditions on the licence. These conditions typically include a requirement that the noise from pubs and clubs should not be heard inside any home between midnight and 7am on any night. The Office can be contacted on (02) 9995 0300.