Our process for subdivision developments

Development Applications

Council has a pre-lodgement advice service for applicants to assist in preparing DAs. If development consent is granted, conditions may be imposed which require certain works or payments to be made at various stages in the process.

Construction Certificate

If you need to undertake earthworks, roadworks, stormwater drainage work, landscaping, erosion and sedimentation control, excavation, mechanical work, structural work, hydraulic work or work associated with driveways and parking bays, including road pavement and road finishing on private land, you will need to obtain a Subdivision Construction Certificate beforehand via the NSW Planning Portal.

These can be obtained from Council and fees apply. Please ensure that your application is accompanied by any documentation or payments required.

Prior to any work beginning you must provide your signed PCA agreement to Council for signing (the PCA agreement will be issued with your Subdivision Construction Certificate approval). The Subdivision (including Civil Works) Construction Certificate Application is to be made on the NSW Planning Portal. To appoint a PCA you will need to complete an application on the NSW Planning Portal website. If you haven’t already done so you will need to register for a planning portal account to start this process.

Water and sewer infrastructure

If you wish to undertake stormwater or sewer drainage or water supply works, you need approval under s.68 of the Local Government Act. You will need to have the relevant plans and documentation completed and attached. Check your development consent for details of what you need to provide or contact Council for advice on (02) 6625 0500.

Application for Approval to Carry Out an Activity – Section 68 Approval

Road opening permits

If you wish to undertake works on a public road, you need a permit under s.138 of the Roads Act 1993 before commencing any works in a road reserve. You will need to have the relevant plans and documentation completed and attached. Check your development consent for details of what you need to provide or contact Council for advice on (02) 6625 0500.

Section 138 Application

Notice to Commence Work – Section 138 Approval

Works as Executed Plans and Certification

Once the subdivision works are completed, Council will need works as executed plans and certification to demonstrate that the works have been completed to a satisfactory standard, consistent with the terms of the approvals issued by Council. These can be submitted prior to an application for a subdivision certificate being lodged with Council, to address any maintenance bonds or outstanding matters. A fee applies for this engineering plan checking service.

Council cannot blindly accept a certificate and needs to ensure each certificate contains the required information, including:

  •  Identifying the person issuing the certificate.
  •  Being signed and dated.
  •  Indicating suitability of the signatory to sign off on the works.
  •  Showing the signatory’s contact details.
  •  Indicating whether the certificate relates to the whole or part of the building or works.
  •  Describing the relevant work/building component and how it relates to the property address.
  •  Referencing relevant design and construction manual provisions, BCA clauses and Australian Standards (year of adoption and relevant provisions).

Subdivision Certificates

Once all the subdivision works have been completed in accordance with the above, you may apply for a Subdivision Certificate on the NSW Planning Portal. It is important to ensure that you have also provided a Development Consent Compliance Statement demonstrating how the conditions of development consent have been complied with, or your application is likely to be rejected or delayed as a result, because Council staff need to retrieve, revisit and review records that have been lodged previously or identify matters that have not been addressed. Properly completing this checklist with comprehensive information will assist assessing staff in turning around your subdivision certificate application promptly.

Development Consent Compliance Statement Template

You may also need to apply to name new roads within your subdivision. To do this, please complete a Naming of New Roads application form.

Please note: During the subdivision process you may also require the following:

Notice to Commence Subdivision Work and Appointment of Principal Certifying Authority

Maintenance Bond Refund Request Application ReadSpeaker Listen